Header

Welcome to my blog, where I will journal about my adventures in life and think about what it is to live.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Something not depressing

I'm not sure I've written about anything other than things relating to depression in this blog. Depression is a big part of my life and I have a lot to say about it, but I just wanted to write a short post about other things on my week off of work.

I heard Dr. Hauerwas speak a few weeks ago, and hearing from the countries' best theologian was one of the many awesome things I did that weekend. He read some from his autobiography Hannah's Child, which I have just ordered on amazon and can't wait to get. I also was just reading things about him online and came across this article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stanley-hauerwas/people-are-surprised-that_b_599230.html entitled The Surprise of Being a Christian. The following is a quote from that article.

"I still find it surprising that I am a Christian. God is just not there for me the way God is there for some people. I am not complaining. I assume that that is the way God works to make some of us have to think hard about what it means to worship God. I use the language of worship rather than belief because I am never sure if I believe in God. I do not trust myself enough to take what I believe seriously. But I do worship God, and I do so with joy."

I don't know what he means about God not being there for him the way he is for some people, but I'm really interested to find out when I read his book. But I empathize with that feeling. I've also read about how Mother Theresa went most of her life without feeling like God was there. I certainly go long periods of time without feeling God at all. I also think hard about what it means to believe in God. And lately I've been unsure that I believe in God. But I do also worship God, and do it with joy and love. I think I might want to go to divinity school. But not to be a pastor. I think I might want to be a theologian like Hauerwas. Or a college professor for either Psychology or Biology. Or possibly a genetic counselor. Or a stay at home mom. Or something else. But I enjoyed hearing from Hauerwas because I feel like he's really honest, because he swears when he's talking about theology and laughs at religious people. Not in a mean way, just in a not letting anyone take themselves too seriously sort of way. I liked that he said that it was great to be interested in theology but not want to be a pastor. He also said theology was just working with words and lots of reading. I love reading. and writing. and words.

So yea, that's about all I had to say about that. Just thought I'd share what was on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment